Monday, October 12, 2015

My Other Creations: Watercolor Bird's Nest

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
Welcome to another new Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!  This week's theme is, "Wonderful Watercolor."  I decided to make a watercolored nest that also serves as a bowl to hold buttons or Scrabble tiles or other little things.

 
 I started out by watercoloring over some patterned paper (Prima's Garden Fable and Tim Holtz's Correspondence collections).  I also smudged on some Distress Ink in random areas for more spots of color.


Next I cut the watercolored pages into thick strips, then cut some of those into smaller strips using Martha Stewart's fringe-cutting scissors. 


I ran the strips through a paper crimper to give them even more dimension, then I crumbled them up and started gluing them to my nest base (a custard dish).  Once the outside was done, I cut word strips out of the Rise and Shine collection by American Crafts and started to cover the inside.


I made a cone hat for my bird using Prima's Royal Menagerie paper and added a "Create Magic" sentiment using the Brush stamp from Prima.  I added my bird to his new nest home and it was done!


Here are the supplies I used from Simon Says Stamp for this project:




I'm looking forward to seeing how you use watercolors in your creations this week!  Be sure to upload them to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!


http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

17 comments:

  1. This just made me smile when I spotted it in the post. I love his colorful nest and his charming hat! Whimsical and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am so going to CASE this!! super adorable Andrea! LOVE it :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea, so cheerful !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beautiful colors you created, Andrea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This project is so cute! Such a great way to use watercolor in your project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this little birdie nest! So cheerful and clever!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so fun! I can see playing Scrabble with this little nest holding the tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So inventive and beautiful,your studio must be the most magical place with all these wonderfully decorated treasures about! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this! It definitely has your signature style and colors! And it looks like you created your nest like a mama bird would build hers!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so charming Andrea and another wonderful fun project! I always admire your colour palettes, which are just divine and I just adore everything about this extremely clever, whimsical project...beautiful work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work made me smile! It's so fun and colorful! the little bird is adorable! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh wow Andrea! This is fabulous! Love the way you've created that nest! The bird is so cute with it's pretty party hat. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweetly feathered nest! The dandy little bird looks likes he's gleaned some mighty words. Once again you've created a treasure. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those watercolour strips were perfect for a happy colourful little nest. Love it! And the hat of the bird is so cute. I keep looking for such little birds to use on projects, but have only found one, and that was while visiting someone (she gave it to me).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh I love this fun colored nest! So clever to make it out of strips, and I really like the words on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THESE IDEAS???? You are just brilliant! I love everything that you do. This little bird on the nest is absolutely darling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THESE IDEAS???? You are just brilliant! I love everything that you do. This little bird on the nest is absolutely darling!

    ReplyDelete