Monday, August 22, 2016

My Other Creations: Fancy Fabric Fish

For this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme, which is "Go Fish," I decided to whip out the sewing machine and make some fabric fish.  I can't follow a pattern to save my life (too much like math...or hieroglyphics perhaps?), so I just free-styled these with a hand-drawn fish template that I traced onto fabric and sewed around.


http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
 One of my favorite crafty techniques is to stamp onto fabric.  On the "joy" fish, which started out as white fabric, I stamped the tail with a Writer's Block stamp from ArtFoamies.  I added numbers from Tim Holtz's Sideshow set and the flowers on all three fish are Prima Documented flowers which I've added ink to.  I also smudged Distress ink on the fish's body using Picked Raspberry, Squeezed Lemonade and Ripe Persimmon.  I added some background Washi tape for the stripes and for the Joy sentiment.


On the "grateful" fish, I used Tim Holtz's dictionary fabric, but I turned it inside out for a more subtle pattern.  I stamped additional patterns onto the fabric using Dina Wakley's Scribbled Text set.  I used Distress Ink in Twisted Citron and Peacock Feathers to add more color to the fabric and stamped a piece of fabric with pink polka-dots.  The sentiment and stripes are Washi tape.
 

 The third fish, "love," is made the same way.  I started with white fabric and added Distress Ink in Salty Ocean, Shaded Lilac and Wilted Violet.  I stamped the fabric with Dina Wakley's Borders stamp set and My Favorite Things' Whimsical Wishes.  The sentiment and stripes are Washi. 


For each of my fish, I drew the eyes on white fabric with a Sharpie pen.  I glued everything together using Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue.  People ask me what type of ink is best to use on fabric.  For fabric you won't be washing that's decorative only (like these fish), I don't care much which ink I use.  But if I'm stamping on clothing or something I'll need to wash, I like to use Memento Luxe ink, which is fabric-safe.  You do still have the "set" the ink by ironing the stamped fabric before washing, but it works well and maintains its colors nicely.

As for these little fishies, I made them a nice tin to rest in while they wait for their next adventure!


Here is a visual list of the main supplies I used:


You can get these fabulous supplies from Simon Says Stamp:



I am excited to see your interpretation of "Go Fish"!  Be sure to upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog to inspire the rest of us and to give yourself a shot at winning the $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

16 comments:

  1. oh WOW!! these are absolutely fabulous Andrea! like sardines in a tin! the colourful stamping and flower fin details are gorgeous and so creative! LOVE them :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I really, really love these fabulous fish with their great colours and lovely messages! What a super idea to pop them into a tin!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FANTASTIC!!! I love it!!! and to put them into a tin, is simply so awesome!!!! You are always full of surprises!!! xxx Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric fish! I enjoy the whimsy and fun you put into every piece of art! That tin was brilliant and what a sweet way to present to someone as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fish are FABULOUS! Love them in the tin, sardines lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. How ADORABLE! I love these fabric fishies and the sentiments are perfect! :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These fishies are so cute! Love them and what a fabulous idea to use flowers for the fins. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how much I love these fish! For someone who says they can't follow a pattern to save their life, you did an absolutely amazing job free handing these. I love the bright colors and the stamping on the fabric turned out fabulous. Putting them in the little tin can is such an adorable idea too! Love them!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, these are freakin awesome little fishies!! Oh my, but you think of the best things! Love, love how you made your own pattern and created the designs, and brilliant to turn the fabric inside out! Love those big eyes! Thanks for sharing how you made them, I can see them as ornaments for the tree of a favorite fisherman! hugs, maura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha oh yes, the fishes are absolutely FANCY! I love them all for colors and cuteness! What a gorgeous project! LOVE it. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I'm lost for words again...you are so creative...love your fabric fishies...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful and so, so clever...I love how these gorgeous fabric fishies sit in the tin and I just adore the whimsical feel of the whole project ~ amazing work as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These fishes are fantastic! Love the beautiful colors and great sentiments. Such a fun and fabulous project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally love these fishies Andrea!! What a wonderful idea and they look so great together in the tin. Stunning bright colours and I of course love the words and numbers that you can discover here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE your work so much....it's a great inspiration to me

    ReplyDelete