Monday, August 8, 2016

My Other Creations: Pen Holder Using Seth Apter's Maze Embossing Folder

"Contain Yourself" is the theme of the week over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and it has been one of my favorites!  Include some sort of container in your project and you're good to go!  Since I am constantly losing pens (Sharpies seem to be particularly elusive), I decided to make a pen holder out of a tin can to keep those pens in check!


http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
 I started with the background paper, which I made using Seth Apter's Maze embossing folder.  I have not yet learned how to fully utilize embossing folders, but this is my go-to technique.  I start by embossing white paper, then I go in with ink pads and rub them across the embossed pattern so that the pattern stands out.


Next I go back in with paint and rub it into the background so the background isn't so stark.  I rub the paint in with my fingers, which is messy, but quite therapeutic.


If the colors turn out too bright, I'll wait for the paint to dry and rub white paint on top of certain sections, which is what I did for this project.  Once my paper was done, I glued it to my tin can using Aleene's Turbo Tacky glue.  From there, I started embellishing it with strips of patterned paper and ruler ribbon.  I covered both the outside and the inside of the can.  I even added a little section of striped paper to the inside top of the can for a bit of oomph.


I love me some Tim Holtz Label Letters, which can spell out anything your little heart desires!


I decided to add some paint brushes to the outside of my can (heck, why not?) and used embroidery thread to replicate dripping paint.  I love buying cheap paintbrushes that I can chop, distress and use on my projects without feeling guilty for ruining nice ones.


Not only was this project pretty darn entertaining, but now I have a corral for those free-spirited pens of mine.  And I made this project with all these fabulous supplies that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

I am especially excited this week to see what you come up with to contain...something that needs containing!  Be sure to upload your works of genius to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 gift voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

15 comments:

  1. The struggle is real: missing Sharpies. I love your colors here and have jealous feelings about your Seth Apter gear! Your treatment of the embossed paper is lovely, and of course I love your use of the paintbrushes here again! (I still have your mermaid paint box in mind...) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Andrea!! I love the colors and design and the sentiment is hilariously perfect! I can't tell you how many times my pens seem to jump right off my desk and I waste so much time looking for them. Love it!!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, LOVE this Andrea, be lost no more!! haha :-) the whole design of this is gorgeous, I love the embossed design and the colours, so vibrant and funky! :-) I think most, if not all of us should make one of these! I have been using boring undecorated containers! shame on me ;-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the technique with embossing paper and inks. The pattern stands out perfectly. Great colors mix, so sweet and bright. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this pen holder! "be lost no more" made me smile and the background is so pretty!


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have so much FUN in your craft room! Everything you make is just so sunshiny HAPPY! Love this project! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the coolest! I love the string/paint! How fun, great take on this challenge theme. <3 Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your bright and colourful pen holder Andrea...no more of that can't find a pen when I need one nonsense...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wow Andrea! This is brilliant! I love how you used the TH label letters!! This looks such fun especially with how you added those paintbrushes! Trying to catch up with everyone , having been away for a few days!, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! Colors are so you, and the "be lost no more" is just brilliant for keeping things where you want them! Love how you used the maze and the paintbrushes are such a cool touch! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea I need this! On my table disappears everything, it seems to swallow objects !!! Sometimes I find things after months, usually buried or hidden in places unthinkable! The work is fabulous, I loved how you used Worn text stamps set and Seth's embossing folder!! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore the vibrant colours and the funky nature of this pen holder, Andrea...it's just wonderful and such a fabulous idea ~ I would love to be lost no more but alas, I still have everything everywhere and spend half my day trying to find what I'm looking for, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful and brilliant creation, Andrea. The color and texture you created are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This pen holder is fabulous, Andrea! Love that you did the inside too! Fun texture and amazing colors! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great fun piece, love it. Love how you used the embossing folder. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete